Sunday, December 30, 2012

More Models in My Shop... And Some 3D Printing News

I have added more models to my shop on Shapeways. Actually, I have put models back into my shop that I had previously removed.  Two of my most popular models are back:

The first one is a 6-Sided Spiked Die which will make your Yahtzee game a Yowtzee game.


The second is a 4-sided Spiked Die for any place you need a 4-sided die.

In the news:  Read Write posted an article and video about a 3D printed record.  I don't think the recording industry has anything to worry about for the near future.  The record sounds horrible!  But, At least you can tell it is a record.  The first song is Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" which sound like "War of The Worlds" (the original) and most likely smells like hot plastic.  It does however show the advances in the resolution of 3D printing technology.

Just to show how mainstream 3D printers are becoming, I found a 3D printer for sale on Amazon. The Afinia 3D Printer H-Series is on sale now for only $1,499!  This printer has a build envelope 5-1/2"(w) x 5-1/2"(d) x 5-1/4"(h) (140x140x135mm) and prints ABS plastic.  Actually, this is not the only 3D printer on Amazons site.  As the number of models increase, hopefully the prices will drop so the that average person can buy one.  If it follows the emergence of computers in the home we could see some rapid price drops in the next year or two.  In 1969 the first truly home computer, the Honeywell 316 Kitchen computer cost $10,000 and weighed over 100 pounds.  In 1977 the Apple II cost $1,298 for the base model.  We will have to see what happens as this technology become more and more popular.  My question is who will take advantage of this boom and develop an easy to use and cheap 3D design tool.  CAD software vendors like Solidworks and PTC still have their prices in the thousands of dollars unless you are a student.  This seem like a market ripe for the picking.

Please feel free to comment on this post to let me know what you think is the future of 3D printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment